Rules & Requirements for Acupuncture Consultations
Updated as of 5th January 2021 (Lockdown 3)
As a medical service, I am able to treat you if you meet the criteria for urgent care or high needs.
If you fall into this category, I remain committed to treating you and supporting you through this time.
If you do not, I hope you understand that I must respect the current guidelines and will have to wait until lockdown is lifted to see you in person. If I am unable to treat you in person please be assured that I am always on the end of the phone/zoom call if I can support you in any way!
As a reminder, to be considered as high need or urgent care, you need to fall into one of the categories listed below:
- I am likely to require further medication or will need to see a GP if not treated before the lifting of lockdown
- My treatment is time dependant, for example fertility or IVF
- My treatment is for the maintenance of chronic pain
- I need support for conditions affecting mental health
If you are in any doubt as to whether you fulfil these criteria, please call me so we can discuss it in more detail.
Due to the higher transmission rates, I am putting extra safety procedures into place and will require all patients to follow the treatment procedures listed below:
- If you, or someone you live with, develops symptoms of Covid-19 by the time of your appointment, please contact me before attending the clinic as we will need to rearrange your appointment.
- Before you arrive I will require you to have signed a consent to treat form. This will be emailed to you with your appointment reminder and can be returned electronially.
- I will ask you to wait outside the surgery and I will come and collect you from the front door at your appointment time. Please text me to let me know you have arrived – please do not ring the doorbell. Nobody is allowed to wait inside the surgery, I would therefore urge you not to arrive early for your appointment so you don’t have to wait outside in the cold!
- I will require all patients to wear a medical grade, triple layer, water resistant, disposable mask. I will provide these upon arrival and ask you to put them on before you enter the surgery (there will be an additional charge of £1).
- Upon arrival I will take your temperature and ask you to wash your hands
- I will manage your appointment to ensure I leave you in the treatment room to relax within 15 minutes of your arrival to minimise exposure to each other
- I will continue to leave the windows open in the treatment room, along with a HEPA air filter, but don’t worry, there is an electric blanket to keep you warm!
In order to conform with current PPE regulations please be assured that
- I will have a Covid test every morning before treating patients
- I will closely monitor my own temperature throughout the day
- I will wear a protective mask, visor, apron and gloves, which I will change for every patient
- All soft furnishings will be removed
- I will provide fresh blankets for every patient
- Stringent cleaning procedures have been put in place between patients – I have allowed 30 minutes between every patient to clean and air my treatment rooms
- Disinfectant wipes and antibacterial hand wash will be available
I hope these extra measures give you peace of mind, but if you would like to discuss any of the above please feel free to call me. I look forward to supporting you in whatever way works best for you.
As I have mentioned, I am offering online consultations to those who need some support but would rather wait to see me in person.
These protocols will be continually reviewed to maintain best practice and should there be any changes to the guidelines set out here I will let you know immediately. I am totally committed to providing a safe environment for you whilst providing the same quality of treatment – it may all sound complicated, but I think it will be fine! If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me. I look forward to seeing you!
Justine is an acupuncturist, fertility coach and women's health expert with over 27 years' experience. She specialises in all aspects of women's health from adolescence to post-menopause, offering consultations both online and in person.
The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Daily Mail, The Daily Express, Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, The Culture Trip, Get the Gloss