Castor Oil Pack Information and Treatment Instruction Sheet
Using a castor oil pack over the abdomen/reproductive organs can help:
- Improve the lymph and blood circulation to the reproductive organs
- Shrink and eliminate ovarian cysts/uterine fibroids and endometrial adhesions and help clear fallopian tubes
- To soften/ease uterine adhesions and scarring
- Reduce menstrual cramps
- Support healthy bowel movements
How to make your castor oil pack
You will need:
- Cling film
- A hot water bottle (should not feel too hot when placed on abdomen)
- A large unbleached muslin -folded to make 4 layers
- Castor Oil
- Place a selection of cling film, sized to fit over your lower abdomen, on work surface/nearby table top
- Put the muslin cloth on top of the cling film – sized so there is about a 2 inch border of cling film around the cloth
- Pour the castor oil on to the cloth – enough to adequately soak it – it does not need to be dripping! This can make it quite messy!
- Lift the clingfilm and cloth and place it muslin side UP onto the hot water bottle and leave it for a few minutes to warm up.
- Lift the clingfilm and cloth and place muslin side DOWN onto your abdomen.
- Place the hot water bottle over the pack and cover it with a towel – leave it in place for approximately 30-45 mins.
To remove, take away the towel and hot water bottle then place the castor oil pack muslin side UP onto work surface. Store the muslin cloth in a zip lock plastic bag in the fridge. The muslin cloth can be reused for a few treatments (10-15) and then needs to be hand washed in very hot water with washing powder.
You can use the pack while you are watching TV or lying in bed. You might want to put a towel under you to catch any oil that might escape from the clingfilm.
- If trying to conceive, castor oil packs can be done every 2-4 days on the abdomen from around cycle day 5 to ovulation.
- If you have fibroids or endometriosis or ovarian cysts, then every day or every other day is recommended.
- If not trying to conceive – you can use packs all through your cycle every 2- 4 days, but stop while you are bleeding.
- Do not use once pregnancy confirmed or if you have an IUD (intrauterine device in situ).
Which oil should I use?
- Preferably organic, and cold-pressed: Pukka Herbs Organic Cold Pressed Castor Oil
- You can also buy a ready-made Castor Oil Pack which takes a lot of the mess and fuss out of this procedure – but a homemade one is just as effective!
Some people may be allergic to castor oil. It may cause a rash or reaction when used on the body. Therefore, if you haven’t used a castor oil pack before please do a patch test:
- Rub a few drops of castor oil into your skin and leave on for 24 hours. If there is no reaction you should be fine to use a Castor Oil pack, but should you notice any skin irritation please stop using it
Do not use a Castor Oil pack over a recent injury or on open or irritate skin, such as cuts that are healing
Please feel free to call me should you have any questions.